Monday, June 8, 2009

Angel

Yesterday my husband helped his seniors have a most special day, some the biggest day of their lives, graduation. He gave his awesome inspiring speech as always. This year it was a tear jerker for me because of this one little guy, Angel, pronounced "An-hel." Angel has been the kind of kid my husband (and and myself) won't ever forget. Standing only 4 feet tall or so and always with the biggest smile you've ever seen is perhaps the closest thing to a real angel I have ever encountered. Angel is from the Dominican Republic. He lives with an uncle in an apartment. He works at least 30 hours a week at Popeyes chicken to support himself, sending most of his money home to his family in Dominican Republic. He has excelled in honors classes and is like a celebrity at school. Everyone knows and adores him. He brings my husband fried chicken (his favorite food and I hate making it, reserving it for birthday treats only!) every week. He brings cakes, gifts, and treats to teachers and staff for their birthdays even doing this for my husband on his birthday, which fell on a snow day this year! Angel is quite but wise, he remarks on things that make him seem older than he is. He refers to my husband as "boss." You cannot help but love him. Paul brought him on stage (in front of 10,000 people) and presented him with a buckeye. He told him that his own father kept a buckeye on his desk as a symbol of where he had come from throughout his life. Paul hopes that Angel won't forget where he has come from or where he has been as he makes his way home to the D.R. He has not been granted a green card and he will have to go back home soon and we are so sad to see this sweet boy have to leave. All he wants is to go to school to learn how to be a chef. He wants to open his own restaurant. According to my hubby, Angel's empanadas are the most delicious things he has ever eaten. I will miss seeing this little guy and hearing about his latest good deed. I feel like one of my own children graduated yesterday. What a true angel. God bless you Angel.

No comments: