Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Watchin' my weight Wednesday, Food Week- Day 3

My latest favorite blog, Peas and Thank You, has prompted some big changes in my life.

I have been inching my way closer to vegetarian way of life for as long as I can remember, I just haven't taken the plunge to go all the way. I guess as a kid, you have to eat what your family makes for you. As an adult you have to cook to try to please the majority of your family. So I have always had it in the back of my mind but I am feeling like now is a good time to indulge my curiosities.

The last year or so, I have found myself really not liking much meat at all so I don't eat it. I do however love all vegetables and fruits. I found this blog from another one of my favorites, Carrots N Cake and I was like "hell-o! it is making sense to me now!" I found vegetarianism to be kind of scary and overwhelming especially considering my family doesn't really share my point of views. After I read through all Sarah's old posts that I could, I got her cookbook and tried a lot of her recipes. I am finding that I like all that I have tried so far and the family is liking them too. They are vegans (which means no animal products at all) and I am not ready to go to that level, yet. I feel like egg laying and milk (therefore cheese) production is a natural process so I don't feel uncomfortable eating those things. Besides, I buy the organic, happy cow/chicken free range, expensive as heck kind, so hopefully I am getting the best I can get.

I eat tofu and other soy or veggie products almost every day, I know, crazy. I have been still making meat dishes for my family, I just make sure I have the same thing only meatless. Like tonight, I am making them kung pao chicken, I am having tofu version. It isn't too bad (i.e. time consuming) so far. I am also making tons of stuff myself, buying less processed food, which is good right? Sarah has made her own goldfish crackers, I'm not going that far. I have four kids and not that much time!

I don't really know what has prompted me to explore this whole thing, I mean I get that we are supposed to eat meat biologically but I have never really liked meat. When people talk about looking forward to grilling a big old steak dinner, I just don't feel the same way at all. I also could care less about the turkey at Thanksgiving, now bring on those sweet 'taters! I also have some really vivid memories of my grandparents' chicken farm and the goings on there that have been with me since I was about 5, so I guess I have issues. This is still a work in progress for me, something I am kind of learning about and finding what works for me.

Anyway, long explanation for this...
Sarah showed me the way to make homemade donuts! Did you know I love donuts with my whole being? I do. I used to live across the street from the best bakery in town growing up and so now I can't smell yeasty bread rising without salivating. These are not fried by the way. I searched for three months for a donut pan, I found it at Target. It was only about $10. I love it. I swear. I have to stop myself from eating the whole batch. They are so healthy too since they aren't all greasy and icky. The kids obviously love them too.
And how does this all tie into watchin' my weight? Hmm, more donuts= more time here...
...my basement Rocky gym. Is anyone else finding it hard to get motivated to exercise? I am averaging about every other day. Definitely not my ideal, I prefer daily exercise but getting up with a baby (and a three year old who is still mad at me for taking away his paci) is wearing me down.

Just like Speedy and Sugar (remember our new hamsters?), I'll keep going on my treadmill, everyday, trying to get to that happy place.
Here is my goal dress I found to help me work harder, can you see it? Remember I told you I taped it on my treadmill? It is from Boden. Don't you love that catalog? Gosh, I want everything in there. 115 is my goal weight in case you were wondering.
So there you have a very random, all over the place post. I think I need a donut.


Here is the donut recipe:
2 cups cake flour
3/4 cup sugar
2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp ground nutmeg
1 tsp salt
3/4 cup buttermilk
2 eggs
2 TBSP melted butter
1 tsp vanilla

Heat oven to 375. Grease and flour pan. Sift dry ingredients. Stir in wet ingredients until just combined (looks like muffin batter). Fill each well 2/3 full, bake 10-12 minutes until the top of the donuts bounce back when lightly touched. Cool 5 minutes and then invert pan onto cooling rack and cool completely. Glaze and decorate as desired. (I just dusted powdered sugar on mine when they were still warm- delish)

3 comments:

Kerri said...

No meat! I'm a meat girl...and well...everything else too! I am going to check out those two other blogs though...just for the heck of it! ;)
Would love your donut recipe!

Erin Deegan said...

wow... i really love all your ideas. wish i could go meatless... sadly i really do love chicken and beef. maybe i'll cut down, like you, and gradually make my way to a less-meaty lifestyle :)

Bring Pretty Back said...

I also am a meat girl , so is my fam! BUT!!! I am so very much trying to eat healthier.
YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Converse sneakers count if you love them and you feel pretty in them!!!
Have a pretty day!
kristin