Monday, November 19, 2007

Deer in our headlights

OK, last night was a crazy one. On the way home from the movies, we hit a deer. Oh my goodness if you have ever done this, you know how traumatic it can be. The sound of brakes squealing and that awful "thunk" is enough to turn your stomach. Then there is the long list of expletives that are uttered after you realize what has happened, that would be me spewing the foul words, not my husband who was actually driving. After calling 911 and waiting 10 minutes or so you see those glaring flashing lights of the police car, I'm telling you even though we weren't hurt (and no other cars either) there was no convincing my heart of that. It was racing like I had just ran a 100 meter sprint. I was feeling trauma, stress, anger (now we have to get my van fixed), anxiety (just thinking of all the hassle is giving me a new zit), and sadness (I hate thinking about a maimed deer trying to survive out there). I obviously said a prayer to our guardian angels for watching over us, it definitely could have been worse. Those deer just come out of nowhere and there isn't much you can do to prevent it. I was so thankful that no one was injured and our car was drivable even though it does have a lovely tuft of hair stuck in the broken head light. It made me glad to be an organized person in general. I was pretty shook up but I was still able to get out all the necessary papers (registration, etc.) and I had paper and a pen to write info down as the insurance guy is talking to me. Thankfully, my cell phone was charged as well. So an organizing tip for today: make sure you have all your car and insurance information updated and readily available, just in case. Buy a car charger for your phone and be careful during this busy time of year especially in inclement weather.

No comments: