Tuesday, November 13, 2007

Thrifting

There is just something exciting to me about going to a thrift store. I love the thrill of the hunt for that certain something I find that I didn't even know I wanted or needed. I love antique shows, antique malls, flea markets and garage sales too. I love looking at other people's junk and/or discards. I love seeing things I had once too (like old toys or knick knacks). I love seeing something I've never seen before and trying to figure out what it is (this is usually at antique flea markets and shows, that's where all the weird stuff is). I love finding a picture frame for 25 cents or a glass jar for a dollar. I just love it all. The only problem with this love of mine is that it is in direct conflict with my other love of organizing. Too much junk around me makes me cranky. I feel like I am always looking for things I can donate to the local Goodwill or AmVets. Today Zoe and Parker and I took about 10 boxes of "stuff" to the Goodwill. OMG, they have a drive-thru now! It was sooooooo... easy to just load up the old mini-van and go. The nice guy there even helped me unload them. Then Zoe was asking me why we were giving them all Parker's old diaper boxes and so I went on a (probably too) long explanation about how it's good to get rid of old things because it might help someone else and it makes room for new things (she's no dummy, she knows Santa is coming soon!) So then she wanted to see what was in the store, of course, as a former teacher I recognized a teachable moment when I heard one! We high-tailed it inside and they had a ball. They loved looking at everything, I swear it was better than Toys R Us! We bought some Barbie and Blue's Clues books and of course a picture frame (green for our yearly Christmas photo- only 50 cents!). I hope my kids inherit my love of thrifting, if today was any indication, I think I'm in luck. I foresee in the future long Saturdays at the local flea markets with my little bargain hunters in tow... hmmm, bliss! So today, my organizing tip is to load up a box or two or three and take it to your local donation center. You still have time to get that tax-deduction receipt and make room for those goodies from Santa!

No comments: