Wednesday, November 7, 2007

Karma

Do you believe in karma? You know, what goes around comes around? Well I always kind-of did and now I completely do. Parker, my two year old, has begun channelling Herve Villechaize http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Herve_Villechaize. You might remember him from the show "Fantasy Island", his character was Tatoo, the little guy who announced when a plane was arriving. Parker can (and does) spot any airplane within a ten mile radius and then he will yell "a-pane, a-pane, a-pane" until someone responds to him. He will yell it louder and louder until you point to it and say something like, "yep, there is an airplane." I really noticed it yesterday while we were driving around town, doing errands and picking up Zoe from school. I was trying to just zone out and listen to the radio but he wasn't having it. So after I acknowledged him, I remembered Tatoo. As a young girl in the late 70's, "Love Boat" and "Fantasy Island" were must-sees on my weekend television schedule. I always thought Tatoo was so cute and funny. I'm sure I probably even imitated him a few times. Well it has come full circle, I get to relive Tatoo's famous lines almost every time I play outside or ride in the car with Parker. Yep, I have to say, what goes around comes around.

Wishing I could see an old episode of "Fantasy Island" got me thinking of a good organizing tip for today: Take a few minutes to look at your DVD or VHS collection. Evaluate what you really like, what you really watch, and what is just taking up space. If it's just taking up space, it's time to get rid of it. If you regularly watch it (even if it's only a few times a year), keep it. If you just like it but don't watch it, really consider if you want to keep it. Are you really going to watch it or are you just keeping it to say you have it? An incentive to clear out- you can sell old movies and tapes at many different stores (I take mine to Half Priced Books), who doesn't need a little extra cash this holiday season? Or you could donate old movies and tapes to charity, maybe daycares would want children's movies? With all the movies and DVD's about to be released for the big holiday shopping season, you'll want room for new additions.

No comments: