Friday, September 12, 2008

a little recipe tip

Still recipe sorting/purging/etc...

About a year ago I started writing notes to myself on my recipes (cards, cut outs, cookbooks, etc.) as a reminder that I made them. I usually write the date of the first time I made the dish and I usually write a brief description (like: "mmm, yummy, gooey brownies" or "Paul said, it tastes like a restaurant".) I will also write if I made it for a special occasion ("made for July 4th picnic 2007".) I also write if I made any changes or substitutions and sometimes what I served it with. I started doing this to help me remember things I made for family gatherings in case I had a request to make it again. Then I noticed that it was kind of like scrapbook journaling, it gives me a look back into my life at that time. I have come across several desserts and sweets recipes so far that have funny comments on them (I guess it's obvious what I like best!) I have envisioned someday when I am long gone, my children or grandchildren laughing at my comments or making one of my favorite brownie recipes after reading my notes. It's simple and fast or as Martha says, "it's a good thing."

1 comment:

Sarah said...

That is a great idea and I'm going to start doing it :)