Thursday, September 11, 2008

recipe overload

I am procrastinating my real "work" by making a huge mess and telling myself it is ok because I have wanted to do it for a long time...It started out innocently enough, I swear! I was looking for a recipe that I have made before and now it has turned into total recipe rehab at my house. I will not post a picture because it is so bad, I am truly embarrassed! Really, it is my fault, I have no one to blame but myself! I have recipes and cookbooks all over my kitchen right now and it is turning into quite an overwhelming task to get them back in some kind of order. I have recipe cards filed in a basket. I have binders with cards and clip out recipes from magazines. I have cookbooks galore. I do not have a reasonable method of organizing my recipes. I have been collecting/hoarding recipes since college when I discovered Martha Stewart. I literally had a full recipe file when I got married, boy was my hubby impressed! I started typing them on the computer and filing them in binders in plastic protectors a la Martha style before I was even married. THEN someone got me a Longaberger recipe basket for a wedding gift and it is just so darn cute that I had to use it. THEN I started getting more and more cookbooks as gifts and for myself (I really used to like to experiment, B.K., before kids!). THEN I got some cooking magazine subscriptions (some as gifts- must be a newlywed thing) and I was ripping those things apart like crazy. So things got pretty out of hand fast. Well, like I said, looking innocently for a recipe has led me to purge about 50% (wouldn't that guy on Clean Sweep be so proud of me!) of my recipe cards/cut outs from my basket, the lid fits now! I found I had many duplicates and some I gathered in my single days (things I wanted to try but my non-adventurous family would never go for) so those were gone. I also found some cookbooks that I literally never used, looked at, but never once referred to, so they are now in my give away box. I am currently trying to find a way to store all those awesome Pampered Chef recipe cards that come with the tools and the "Seasons Best" books. I find that P.C. is a resource I go to over and over so I definitely want to keep them. I plan on keeping my multiple system for now, believe it or not, I can usually remember where a recipe is from visualizing it (I picture it written on a card or whatever) so I can't see myself going to a complete, one method system... yet. So for now, I am having fun getting some new ideas to cook for my family and organizing all this stuff... I'll keep you posted...

1 comment:

Sarah said...

My latest organizing tip has been not to cook! That's bad I know :) You are just going to rock this project out-I could use some help so keep us posted!