Tuesday, May 22, 2012

finding ways to just breathe

Things have been hectic lately to say the least. I know I am not alone because I am seeing it in everyone else's blogs. End of the school year, beginning of summer, gardening, spring clean ups, sports seasons wrapping up and beginning again, all that stuff is making for some very busy families.

I don't have a lot of time to relax or "me time" so I just try each day to take a couple minutes to breathe. Just breathe. Deeply. Through all my recent reading about becoming a vegetarian, I am hearing a reoccurring theme over and over: the importance of relaxing, meditation, and calming down. I don't know about you, but I could use a good dose of that. 

I found that looking at our trees helps me feel calm. Weird. I know. So simple. But it works. We live at the top of a hill and they sway almost constantly from the wind (sometimes wilder than others, spring storms!). It is so peaceful. 

We (my Big Tall Hubby and myself) have planted each of these trees and it is amazing to     see them getting bigger and fuller each year. I never had a big tree in my yard as a kid, I lived in an apartment until I got married. The sheer majesty of a tree is amazing to me.

 Out my back windows (our morning room)
 Out the front door 
(OK so the boulevard trees were there before us! But the rest, we did.)
I also moved out bird feeder closer to the window so I can watch the birds eat. It is so fun to see them flipping around all day. And boy do we have a ton. All different kinds. I told Zoe it reminds me of when Cinderella was getting dressed and the birds were flying all around her. I know I am inside and they are outside, but it's kind of the same. (I am still slightly bird-a-phobic despite having a pet parrot, so if one landed by me I'd scream like a lunatic but I love to watch them.) Washing dishes and cleaning veggies is much more relaxing watching these little cuties.
Breathing, consciously taking deep breaths is very therapeutic. Try it. Your to do list will still be there, but it won't seem so daunting. I promise.

1 comment:

Kerri said...

I'm going to try this today! Just breathe and relax! I'm more on the high strung side...it's hard for me to relax.
Your trees are so pretty. You going vegetarian?