Saturday, February 9, 2008

Angels among us


Friday is our grocery day. I take my list, snacks for the kids, drinks for the kids, $1 for the video cart, pennies for the pony rides afterwards, and my coupons. The only thing I consistently forget is a Valium or a stiff drink because going to the grocery with two kids is down right stressful for me. I try every week to tell myself, you will not be one of those moms yelling at her children, grabbing them by the arms, lecturing them about not wanting everything they see but at some point I have done all of these things. Not my proudest mommy moments by the way... this week the kids were actually very well behaved, we got through rather quickly and I wasn't even sweating by the time Virginia (my favorite cashier!) was bagging our stuff. Picture this: we're headed off to the ponies for a few well-earned rides. The kids have their pennies. I have my 5 foot long reciept and extra coupons. I'm saying, "don't get on the ponies yet, I'll help you!" (I'm always worried about stitches.) When what does my darling daughter say to me? "Mommy, I know you want me to tell you when we get here or when we are at the fishies (they are in the back of the store) but I forgot, I have to pee bad." I breathe really loudly, and say, "yes you are supposed to tell me before we pay for everything, let's go," I go to get Parker so we can go potty. Thankfully the restrooms are by the ponies. I'm watching Zoe bounce around and Parker is mad as all get out because he wants to ride the pony NOW(!) and another angel appeared to me (the 2nd time this week! read my post about good citizens). A lovely lady who works for Meijer grocery says, "I'll watch your cart honey, take her to potty." I thank her so much it is starting to get awkward. We go and do the whole potty thing and when I come out I tell nice grocery worker, "thank you so much, I always worry someone is going to run off with our cart of groceries. I know you have to go too, so I really appreciate it." She says "don't worry about it sweetie (love that!), I remember those days." Oh I could have kissed her. Get this, her name was "Cookie"! I love that too! I don't know what I have done to deserve this double dose of sweetness from older ladies as I am struggling with my children in public. I'm going to try not to question it too much and just enjoy it. I am going to tell myself it is my guardian angels looking out for me. Or else I look like one of those moms who is about to blow her top and they just feel sorry for me. Naw, I think I like the angel possibility.

1 comment:

Sarah said...

What a darling picture! You are a BRAVE woman to take two to the store-I admire you :)