Monday, February 25, 2008

Martha would be proud

So we had a snow day and quite frankly, I was a little t-o-ed! That means another day of being stuck in the house. I don't mind driving myself in the snow but I don't like to take my munchkins out if I don't have to. Who wants to bundle them up and buckle their car seats while they are wearing their giant coats anyway? Who invented those car seats anyway? Obviously, not someone who lives in the Midwest where it's cold forever!!!! Or someone who has children wearing giant winter coats!!! OK, I digressed...

I have had this bag of Hershey's Kissable baking pieces for a while so I thought why not make something with them? We made Rainbow Rocky Road Brownies with our last bag. (Why do I have two bags of these yummy things and why have I not eaten them in moments of high stress? Well, my mother-in-law gave them to me and told me to make somethings with the kids. She thought they were the mini-baking kisses. Well, I don't like to break the rules so I said, "OK, we'll find something to make with them.") After searching the Hershey's website for a while, which made me wish I could find a reason to go to Wal-mart so I could scarf a Hershey bar, I found a recipe for cookies. I am so rambling right now...

As soon as I get out the mixer the kids (and the dog) come running. I used to love baking, when I could do it alone. It is so fun to mix, measure, taste, try, etc. Now I just kind of like it. You see, I am a bit of a perfectionist so when the exact amount of flour doesn't get measured, I panic a little. I am trying to "let it go" but sometimes, that is hard for me. The kids were uber-excited to bake. I've been on a baking strike since the holidays. I overdid it a little in December.

Here they are sampling the kissables... I think they approve.
Gotta lick the beater, usually I give them a spatula also so they won't fight, but I was feeling lazy. They fought, I was annoyed, "letting it go..."
As soon as I move the mixer over to a workable area, the Little Tykes chairs come flying across the room, the dog tears across the floor, and the fun begins. Actually, it's pretty much like this every time I cook. Max loves it when a crumb falls to the floor.

The finished product, good and gooey. Fresh-made cookies, fun, kept the kids entertained, wouldn't Martha be proud?





3 comments:

Satunas4 said...

Hi Jenny, It's Bobbi Jo.. Cories friend, use to live in Ohio ?? Are you remembering now?? Love your blog. The kids are growing up way to fast.. Parker was just a baby when I left... Your cookies look great. I have not baked in soo long. I think I will do that this evening. Without kids.... Just wanted to say HI. Hope all is going well. Take care!!

Sarah said...

Totally relate to the fighting, the lazy , and yep the letting it go. Martha better be proud!

Kristin said...

Martha should be proud. I doubt she ever tried to bake with two young helpers.