Thursday, February 28, 2008

You say "vanilla", I think "nilla"

Zoe came home from school announcing "I had the yummiest cookies in the world today."
I said, "what kind were they."
Zoe replied, "Vanilla Wafers, and they were so good mommy, you have to get some at the store."
Well I am such a good mommy, I went to the store the next day and got the biggest box of Vanilla Wafers I could find, I was planning on riding the best mommy wave for as long as I could. When Zoe saw the box she said, "not those kind of vanilla wafers, the rectangle kind with icing in the middle."

OK, I was stumped. What in the h--- was she talking about? You see, I make most of the cookies we eat, everyone around here loves chocolate chip cookies. On the occasion I do buy cookies, the only ones I get are Oreos or Milano (Pepperidge Farm) so it's been a while since I really studied the cookie aisle at the store. In fact, I try to avoid it!
A late night trip to Walmart found me wandering through the aisles, I don't even remember what I was there for... when I came upon these!

I remember these cookies! I think my mom used to buy them. I had no idea they were called "Vanilla Wafers." I was so proud of myself. Boy was I going to get "mom of the year" or what?! The next morning, after a healthy breakfast of Cheerios and juice, Zoe sat munching on the "real" vanilla wafers. And of course, I was basking in the glow of Zoe saying, "mom, you are the best!" Mission accomplished, lesson learned.

No comments: