Wednesday, February 6, 2008

There are still some good citizens in the world

So here is one of my favorite places on earth, the Lane Library. I love it, I love it, I love it. Not only is it a beautiful building, inside and out, the staff is the most helpful, nice group of people I interact with on a regular basis. Seriously, they are so nice I am smiling just thinking about them. I take the kids every few weeks and we get so many books and DVDs our bags are busting by the time we leave. Today was no exception. On the way out, I have Zoe's pink princess backpack, loaded to the brim, my tote bag, loaded to the brim, and Parker's backpack, loaded, well, to the brim. AND I have our DVDs in my hand and Zoe has some books and CDs in her hand, we really like to read at our house! We're walking down the steps in the pouring rain (I sound like that story our Grandpas tell us... "walking to school in the snow with no boots, uphill all the way"....) and I say, "Zoe hold Parker's hand please." I think she did hold it for about a nanosecond, then KABLAMO! Down he goes, head-first, on the concrete steps. I swear in my mind, I thought, gosh darnit (well I might have thought something a little less PG) he's gonna need stitches again and that is really gonna make me mad! But luckily, he was ok, no cuts, although he was scared and crying. In the meantime, Zoe is crying not because she is hurt but because her hair is getting wet and she can't get her hood up. OK, whatever, I'm freezing and wet too! I throw all bags, DVDs, and keys on the ground because Parker is laying facedown with his head on the bottom step and his feet are still pointing to the top step. I pick him up, check him, he's ok. In the van he goes. I go get Zoe, she is really ticked, because she said, "I'm soaking wet Mom!" In the van she goes. My blood pressure is rising by the second, I want to swear profusely, and I am going to scream at any time. I am opening the door so I can literally throw all our books, etc, in the van when (here comes the good citizen part!) a nice, elderly lady picks up two of my bags and puts them in the car while I get the rest of our stuff. I thank her very much and I want to hug her too, but I refrained. She said, "I remember how hard it is to take little ones places." Oh, she is an angel, I just know it. I buckle up the kids, check them again for boo boos, give them some fruit snacks and head off to take Zoe to school. I swear if it weren't for that wonderful woman, I would have been in tears too. I didn't even care that I was soaked and my hair was a mess. God Bless that mysterious angel.

2 comments:

Kristin said...

thanks for the reminder that there are good people in the world. I'm glad one of them walked into your life when you needed her.

Sarah said...

Oh, I love that library too. I miss it tons, the library here doesn't even have drive up-ugg. I love the picture and can totally relate to the story for sure!! I love little old ladies who tell you it's all going to be ok, they can be so much more compationate than even other moms our age. They are angels for sure :)