Tuesday, November 17, 2009

hoo hoo

Real owls are scary. You all know I have a slight bird phobia that has existed forever, it has only waned a teensy bit since becoming a bird mommy. I still have to get up with Tanner several times a night, I have never been one of those lucky ladies whose children sleep through the night at six weeks old, mine like to have me visit them until they are about six years old. Oh well, sleep is overrated. Lately I have been rocking the Tan-man in his room trying to get him back to sleep and I have been hearing real live owls hooting (is that what it is called) to each other. And let me tell you people, it is spooky! It doesn't sound at all like "hoo hoo" what you hear on Scooby Doo or even scary movies, it sounds like, "hoo-ooo, ooooh-ooh" oh, you get the picture. To make it even scarier, I think their nest is right outside Tanner's room in the tree by our house. Our house is built on old farm land and there are a lot of big trees in the neighborhood. I think they have nests in the two big trees by our neighbors for sure, we have seen them (using binoculars) sitting on the tree tops right at dusk. Now that the leaves have fallen, there is this big mass of leaves and stuff in our little pear tree by the house and when those guys hoot, it sounds like they are in the same room with me. So creepy. Shivers and chills. I keep having visions of letting my little pug out to go poo and this big silent owl sweeping in and snatching him up, could that happen? I also worry it will somehow get in our attic and therefore in our house, aren't phobias just the darndest things? Do owls fly south for the winter? I can probably draw them a map with sidewalk chalk or something. Now that I have heard them, I lay awake at night and listen for them, imagining all kinds of scooping up scenarios. Ahh!

No comments: