Monday, November 9, 2009

my Monday menu and free/almost free day


Usually, I hate to go to the mailbox. It seems like I only get bills, credit card statements, solicitations for credit cards (I swear, Capital One must kill a billion trees every year!), and other yucky stuff. Today I got these things instead making for a happy free day: coupons from Kroger for stuff I actually buy (including a free Dole salad kit!), a Dell coupon for $70, $10 rebates from Kelloggs and L.L. Bean, and a recipe book I sent away for using UPC codes. These things made it nice to actually open the mail for a change.

Other things that made this a good free/almost free day:
  1. I trimmed Parker's hair myself (saving $20), just around the ears and back where it grows like crazy.
  2. I got free tags and wrapping paper when I bought some at Walgreens (BOGO this week). savings= approximately $5.00
  3. My family had a fancy dinner last night (OK so that makes it a freebie for yesterday, but who cares!?), we ate by candlelight in our formal dining room. The grownups even drank wine! Wow, I highly suggest this activity. We had a leisurely dinner and everyone was relaxed, without the hassle of going out. approximate savings= $50.00
  4. I vaccumed my van out and restocked it with snacks and supplies (like hand sanitizer). This activity always makes me feel good, no matter what. I love a clean car almost as much as I love a spa day. not sure of savings, since I have never had my car "detailed"
  5. Speaking of spa days, I plan on giving myself a "free" pedicure tonight, after the kiddos go to bed. $40.00 savings
I just love free things, they just make me happy!

Here are my menu plans for this week:
  • Grilled chicken wraps and strawberries
  • Italian sausage and white beans stew with biscuits
  • Stuffed peppers and salads with oranges and pomegranates
  • Homemade mini pizzas with salads
  • Leftover buffet
I'm not sure how these will play out since my hubby is gone, again, and he has to attend two sports banquets this week thus making him not be home until late. Depending on the kids' moods (and mine of course) all menus are subject to change!

No comments: