Wednesday, June 9, 2010

watchin' my weight Wednesday

Congratulate me please... it has been 17 days since I drank a diet Dr. Pepper! This was one of my 2010 goals- to reduce or eliminate diet soda, was the actual goal I set for myself.

Well, 17 days ago I woke up and said, nope, I will not have any more. I won't even begin to tell you how much I was drinking before I quit, it's horrible, downright shocking. I don't drink coffee and being a sleep deprived momma, I figured I needed the caffeine so I just kept drinking and drinking.

Well, since I began the quest to eat better my own research is showing that drinking diet drinks do not help you stay slim. And I have a tendency to swell from too much sodium, and diet sodas have sodium in them, could this be the reason I always have a pot belly? (I can tell you that after 2 1/2 weeks of no diet pop therefore no extra sodium the pot belly is still there- oh well, at least I answered that question.) I also am trying to eliminate all fake/fake-ish food from my family's diet so I felt like a big huge hypocrite saying "no" you can't have those fruit snacks but I am going to chug this 20 ouncer I just got from Speedway.

I felt the caffeine withdraw bad for about 4 days, which coincided with that time of the month (I know, TMI!) so I was popping Tylenol like crazy to deal with headaches. Once the headaches were gone I didn't have any more withdraw like I thought I would. I do however crave the sweetness and oh how I love Diet Dr. Pepper, our love affair is long and torrid. I have allowed myself to have one of those Crystal Light drink mixers a day, just to get over the hump, that sweet craving is intense! The Crystal Light doesn't have caffeine and sodium so I am hoping to break my "fake" sugar habit next. I can't say I'll never drink a diet soda again but I do feel a teeny bit better not drinking any for now. Personal victory feels good!

No comments: