Friday, October 3, 2008

family room curtains

Behold my Mr. Holland's Opus of sewing projects... Sorry it was morning, not good lighting for picture taking...
I finally finished the curtains for my family room. I am not kidding when I tell you this project has been in the works for about 8 months! I bought this fabric on clearance eons ago and it sat in my closet so long, I forgot I even had it! When we painted the family room about a month or so ago, I knew I had to get busy or else they would never get done. My biggest challenge was getting all 5 (yes, 5) windows to have the same measurements. I rarely work with a pattern when I sew anything and I am the worst measureer in the world, I promise. I also wanted the red stripes to be on the sides and one in the middle, just because I'm anal doesn't make me good at measuring. So it took me about 10 total hours of sewing/ironing/pinning/measuring/hanging and rehanging but they are done. I really like how they look, they match our area rug perfectly. Just a note, my husband decided we had to add the fringe. I had originally planned for plain bottoms but he thought this would "dress them up," he watches way too much HGTV. Oh and he also thought I should add a backing fabric (which I did) so light wouldn't show through as easy, this was after I had everything cut and pinned and ready to go, but I was a good wifey and I did what he asked, score a point for me. I honestly feel relieved and a sense of accomplishment. Now on to more projects...

2 comments:

Unknown said...

You did a great job! The curtains look great:)

Sarah said...

I am impressed! The are lovely. Post more pictures-I want to see the entire room :)