Monday, December 8, 2008

right here right now

Picture this:
I'm at the grocery late at night, not a big shocker there, when I swear I had a vision of my future. I saw this teeny elderly lady pushing one of the gi-normous carts with her purse securely on her forearm browsing the magazines. In her cart she had a bunch of bananas, a 2 liter of Dr. Pepper, and two cans of soup. In her hands, she had three "rag mags" as I call them, trying to decide which one to purchase. She looked at my cart (which was completely overflowing as usual) and said, "Oh sweetie, I remember those days of full carts and big gallons of milk." We exchanged a few nice words and I thought as she walked away, that will be me someday, getting just a few necessities at the store. Maybe I'm sentimental because it's Christmas or maybe I'm overly emotional because I am pregnant, but on the way home I reminded myself to enjoy things right now because they won't be like this forever. The big grocery bills, hectic schedule, loud house, 85 loads of laundry a week, and muddy footprints on the floor will be distant memories someday. I promptly came home and gave my kids kisses as they slept and didn't even complain when my husband wanted to watch an HGTV gardening show, again!

1 comment:

Sarah said...

I had a similar moment at the store and I agree-this time is worth cherishing in all it's crazyness :)