Saturday, May 17, 2008

all wet





I was originally going to write about how sad and lonely I felt on Mother's Day. My husband had been away on a rare work-related trip and I really missed that sweetness of obvious planning to do something for me, like when the kids bring me a gift or Zoe insists on bringing me toast and juice so I can have breakfast in bed. Honestly, all of the mothers I know do not really "want" for anything and any gift is considered truly special and I am so happy for all of them who had a remarkable day celebrating all they do. I was feeling kind of "woe is me" about the whole day until I saw these pictures. I actually wouldn't even look at them because I really felt sad about the day. I was at the end of a four-day, by-myself-with-the-kids journey that included, dance lessons, a funeral visitation for a childhood friend, my car breaking down, having to get it fixed, getting a rental car so I wouldn't be trapped at the repair shop with kids all day, a sick 2 1/2 year old, the dreaded grocery shopping as well as all my other chores, when it rained on Mother's Day. I couldn't believe it. How could it be raining? All I wanted to do was take the kids to the park and let them go crazy while I sat on a bench and just breathed. After a few hours of hoping it would stop, I said "forget it, put on those rainboots, we're goin' outside." I sat in the garage on a lawn chair and they played like there was no tomorrow. Who knew splashing in puddles and writing on wet cement with the sidewalk chalk could be so fun? I had time to reflect while they were playing and I said a few silent thank you prayers for the gifts of these two beautiful children. Seeing these pictures makes me so glad we had this time together, no big to-dos about taking me out to eat, no elaborate gifts, no breakfast in bed, just me and them. Isn't that what Mother's Day is all about anyway?

2 comments:

Sarah said...

On my-I think I'm crying! I've been there girl-especially with a husband out of town. You are the GREATEST mom because you may have felt like you had lemons that day, but you made lemonade!!(is that how that saying goes? you know what I mean)

Unknown said...

The girls love to play in the rain, like Max and Ruby. Katie even says she has to get on her slicker.