Monday, June 30, 2008

graduation goodies

OK, I'm late, I know, graduation was like 3 weeks ago or something like that but whatever, I have no excuse. I just have to share a little project I made for a friend of mine who graduated this year from high school. It isn't a new idea to the whole crafting world but it was new for me. I have been wanting to make a similar project for a long time. This was one of those things that I had on the back burner and once I got started it just kind of took on its own life and happily I think it turned out really cute.

First I painted an Altoid box navy blue and made this cute little graduation cap with paper and a brad and tassel (found those tassels at Hobby Lobby a couple years ago and I have used them every year for someone's card!). BTW his school colors are blue and gold... Open up the box and I made a cute little accordion scrapbook, stamped images decorate the first page, don't laugh at my "signature" crooked stamped letters, I can never get those darn things straight.
These were pictures I had saved over the years, I can't believe I actually had them still but I was so glad I did. Now just a note, my buddy Daniel, is really quiet and shy so I didn't want to make his scrapbook too over-embellished. If it had been a girl, I think I would have gone crazy with lots of words, flowers, stickers, etc. It just didn't seem like I good thing for him.
On the last page I wrote a sentiment to him. He sent me a thank you note (didn't his mom raise him well?) and he said he really liked it. OH I ALMOST FORGOT THE BEST PART (darn preggo brain!), I enclosed a nice sum of money inside the box for him to use towards school or whatever. It's a gift box/scrapbook/card all in one! I think gift card would fit too. Now if I only liked Altoids enough to eat more of them so I could make more boxes...
This has nothing to do with my project but it is my hubby on the jumbo-tron speaking to his graduating seniors (all 800 of them or so) plus all the 5000 or so people that pack the arena to witness the event. I don't know how he does it, keeping so cool and collected while speaking to such a huge crowd. I am always so proud of him and the kids too, they are great and I am happy he gets to be a part of such a special day for them.

No comments: