Tuesday, August 26, 2008

CD recommendation

I got the best CD yesterday! It is called "Colorblind" by Robert Randolph and the Family Band. In this age of downloading I-tunes and MP3 players, I think I am one of the last few people who actually goes to the store and gets the real CD. After tearing open those annoying plastic cases, I can't wait to blast my new favorite song and read all the liner notes. I have always been a huge music fan. My mom and I were as poor as can be with a teeny weeny b&w TV for years and years we were slow to get cable and a bigger TV but we always had music. I had my own record player and (actual vinyl) albums when I was 4 years old. Later came cassette tapes, my first one was Madonna, "Like a Virgin," how funny? I lived across the street from a record store in college and I used to fantasize about working there, although I think I am too dorky to do so. I have a big CD collection and as much as I like paring down and being organized it is one of the things I can't seem to purge through, yet. I couldn't wait to get this CD. I heard them sing a couple years ago on David Letterman (love him!) and I didn't think much about them until I heard them again on the Discovery Channel commercials. Their song, "Ain't Nothin' Wrong With That" is so rockin' I would rewind the tv just to hear it again. The kids and I have watched it a bunch of times on YouTube and the band's website. They love it too. So yesterday, I was at the mall and I saw the record store and what can I say? I just had to go pick it up, kind of like some women just "have" to get that new outfit... You can check out their website, I guarantee you'll be dancin' in your chair! http://www.robertrandolph.net/index2.html I would say this is a combo of early Red Hot Chili Peppers/Lenny Kravitz/funk/rock... you just gotta listen! Oh and it is kind of bittersweet because Dave Matthews and his saxophone player (who just passed away last week) are featured on a couple tracks. most of my CDs, I told you I was crazed...


No comments: