Monday, August 18, 2008

early bird shopping

There aren't too many things that will get me out of bed at 5 am and on the road but heading to a good antique flea market will wake me up before my alarm. Sunday I was able to go to my beloved Kentucky with my gal pal, Vicki for a morning of wheeling and dealing. We try to go a few times every summer but this is the first time we have gone this year. Here is the blue sign welcoming me to my favorite state... don't tell my mom, I was driving and taking pictures at the same time! I ate at that revolving hotel restaurant in high school for homecoming or something, just FYI... I didn't have anything specific I was searching for, this time, I always have a mental list of things I would like to buy given the right price. I desperately want one of these wooden duck decoys (don't ask me how I have come to love our feathered friends, I used to be deathly afraid of all animals with feathers!) but they are soooo... expensive. I keep looking and I know I will find the one I want sometime.
I thought this goose was so cute (can you believe another bird item?!). It reminded me of the one my grandma had and used to dress up for every season. Not a true antique, but fun.
I always wanted a knight in shining armor! I wanted to get that drum for Parker, I asked the man to hold it for me for a while, then I had some sweet tea (in the south, you get the good stuff!) to boost my sugar (I was getting a little tired!) and I came to my senses. What was I thinking?! I told the man that I changed my mind, I am so glad now.
Here is what I bought...
Don't you just love it! I have wanted a deacon's bench for years. I think since forever. I look at them all the time and I have yet to find one that I felt was the right one for the right price. Well this cutie was already painted and it only cost $50! Woo hoo! I love it and I plan on making a cushion for it soon. And the best of all, my hubby likes it too. Sometimes I come home from these things with "project pieces" and he gets a little crabby. The best part of flea marketing (there are so many reasons) is all the funny and nice people you meet. I come home refreshed and smiley and just plain happy, and also a tiny bit exhausted. I can't wait to go to another one soon. Oh, and how do you like our new paint color? It's called "drawbridge", whatever, I call it "brown."

2 comments:

Sarah said...

love it! Love it! Love it!

Kristin said...

I LOVE the bench. What a great find.