Wednesday, August 20, 2008

a quick project

I have been on this frenzy to finish all the home improvement projects that I have had on my to-do list for a while. They are mostly small projects (believe me I have some big ones in mind too, but no funds or husband help to back them up...) that don't take a long time but I have been procrastinating for a while. Now that my preggo nesting has kicked in gear, I can't work fast enough. This is my latest completed project. I bought this lamp for $2 at a thrift store. It was that ugly tarnished green brass color, no shade, and filthy. It is heavy as sin, probably real brass, but I don't really care for brass too much. I really just liked the shape. I cleaned it up, gave it a fresh coat of black paint, bought a new shade and voila! A new lamp resting on my bedside table! I love to read at night and I had just a teeny lamp there before. This one is much better and the shade matches the chandelier shades we already have in there. I hope to find another one to put on Paul's side, even though he isn't much of a reader. I think it will look more balanced. This is an easy project (I've done this a couple times with hand me down lamps) and I highly recommend it. A quick fix that really does make a lot of difference. Just remember to check the lamp before you buy it! I made the thrift store employees find me a light bulb and an electric outlet so I could make sure it worked before I bought it. I know my husband could rewire a lamp but like I said, I am on a deadline here, I can't be waiting around for him to get the urge to do some electric work!

No comments: